"Alexa, ask the home theater what's on deck?"
"Alexa, tell the home theater to put on Always Sunny"
"Alexa, tell the home theater to put on episode 3 of Band of Brothers"
"Alexa, tell the home theater to put on Adventure Time, and make it a good one!"
- Ask Alexa what's on deck to see what TV shows you have on deck.
- Alexa, ask the home theater what's on deck
- Tell Alexa to start playing a TV show. It'll play the next episode you need to watch, or a random one. You don't need to say the entire name of the show - just enough so that she can figure it out!
- Alexa, ask the home theater to play South Park
- Alexa, ask the home theater to put on Always Sunny
- Tell Alexa to play a specific TV show. Supports a variety of refering to episodes (although not by episode name)
- Alexa, ask the home theater to play episode 208 of True Detective
- Alexa, ask the home theater to play season 3 episode 7 of Adventure Time
- Alexa, ask the home theater to play episode 4 of Band of Brothers
- Tell Alexa to play a random well-reviewed episode of a show. It'll pick a random episode in the top 10% of user reviews.
- Alexa, ask the home theater to play South Park, and make it a good one!
- Only supports a single Plex Media Server that you own. Servers shared with you will be ignored for now.
- TV Shows only right now. Movies are coming soon!
- Only supports a single TV Show "library". If you have more than one, it will use the oldest one you have.
- A limited number of players have been tested simply due to me not owning them all. See the Player Compatibility section below.
- YOU MUST HAVE REMOTE ACCESS ENABLED! This will always be the case, due to the fact that Alexa skills do not actually run on the Alexa hardware itself, but rather in the cloud. Refer to this article on the Plex Support site for how to verify that your server is properly set up: Enabling Remote Access for a Server
How to Set Up
Once you have the skill activated in your Alexa app and verified that your server is set up for remote access, you'll need to link Alexa to your Plex account. Open your web browser to http://plex.tv/link and ask Alexa:
"Alexa, tell the home theater to continue setup"
Alexa will guide you through the steps to link your account. Simply keep saying that same command and it should move to the next step.
Right now playback commands have only been tested with the following clients:
- Plex Home Theater
Known to be Incompatible
- Plex Media Player
If you have other players and would like to help out with testing, please join the Gitter Chatroom